Friday 23 November 2012

And now for something COMPLETLY different (sortof)...

Hasslefree Miniatures this year are running a sculpting competition, where the winner will get cast and put into their range for sale. By entering, you will get in return a lead cast version of your sculpt.

Basically it is a really cheap/easy way to get some new miniatures for their line, but I put my cynical nature aside, and felt the need to share my Intellectual Property with them!

The miniature we were to work from was an armature, looking like this..


Which to mean, sort of screams the hyper-sexualised fantasy-type female that gamers are so ruthlessly mocked for- I mean she has high heels MOULDED ON for crying out loud!

So my plan was to take this armature and turn her into something far more realistic and modern. After some googling, I found this...


She is an Italian (I thought she was Belgian, but I was wrong! Thanks Panaldi for the correction) paratrooper, shown at a relaxed position, assault rifle, webbing, camo all looking cool. When I decided I wanted to sculpt something a bit more "real", this was exactly what I wanted.

Being the Anglophile that I am, she had to change nationality to British, plus had to change her assault rifle to being an SA-80. Most certainly had to keep the beret too!

It was the first sculpting I have ever done, beyond making a canvas tarp or filling a gap on a model, and this is how it has turned out.


The photos make it look a whole lot less "neat" than I remember it being, but that is my finished product!

I would tell you to all go off and vote for mine, but really, you should look at the other entrants and vote for the one which you like- after all then you will be able to buy it!

You can view the others on facebook or on forum of doom (no link yet, apparently they will be up at some point).

Moderns game tonight, trying out an improved version of the mission Adam and I played last week.

CP

7 comments:

  1. Nice project - the Belgian Para-lass looks lovely too. Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pretty excited to recieve her back in lead actually, if only to prove that maybe I shouldn't sculpt things!

      Was an interesting adventure anyway...

      CP

      Delete
  2. Not bad for a first go. I must admit I am no expert, and whenever I have had a try it really makes you realise how skilled the the guys like the Perrys really are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I found I would do something right, like her right arm, then try to repeat it on the left and fail miserably!

      I have to say, that the photos up very close make her look more average than she does in person.

      So I have that going for me at least!

      Delete
  3. Looks really good to me Chris. Good luck with the voting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quite impressive for a first sculpting, compliments and good luck.

    But the paratrooper is Italian, by the way...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Panaldi- I have corrected my error, thanks for your help!

      Delete